Tram Ride along the Pier, 1940's
Another popular eating establishment, the “Pier Café”, was set up at the other end of the pier next to the train tracks, and served food such as hamburgers, jumbo shrimp, fish dinners and hot dogs. This café was one of the stops along the route of a tram service that ran visitors out to the pier. This service ran throughout the 1930’s until well into the 1980’s. The Pier Café was located on the opposite side of the pier where the current Duke’s Restaurant is now located, and the Sunshine Café was in the same spot as the recently closed Ruby’s Diner at the pier’s end.
After the war was over, the popular Sunshine Café happily resumed business, until it changed hands in 1977 and became the “End Café”. In 1983, the cafe was badly damaged by another large storm, and ended up at the bottom of the ocean. In September 1985, the rehabilitated pier reopened with a new two story "End Cafe", but that, plus another 250 feet of the pier, was washed away by yet another storm on January 17, 1988. Witnesses to the disaster remember the café floating away in the ocean like a houseboat. The pier was eventually declared unsafe, and it was closed on July 12, 1988. Despite the closure of the pier, it was still recognized for architectural and engineering excellence and was placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic places on August 24, 1989.